Azure Bot Service is powered by Microsoft Bot Framework, which requires an app ID and password to work. If you create a bot by using the Azure Bot Service templates, you will be asked to generate an MSA app ID and password during the creation flow (see Creating your first bot). The MSA app ID and password are saved to the following application settings keys:
There may be cases when you will need to generate a new password (for example, if you think your secret has been compromised). The easiest way to do it, is to use the Bot Framework Developer portal. The following shows how to do that.
Creating a new password and updating your bot configuration
To create a new password, follow these simple steps:
- Go to the Bot Framework Developer portal, find your bot under My bots, and open it.
- Click Edit in the Details panel.
- Click Manage Microsoft App ID and password.
- If prompted, login with the Microsoft account you used to create the MSA app ID, then click Generate New Password on the next page.
Note: This is the only time you'll see the password; copy it and store it securely.
- Paste the password in the bot application settings in Azure Bot Service.
Note: If you delete the password currently configured in your bot, the bot will stop working. Make sure you delete the unused one.